Building permits are necessary for most residential and commercial improvements that are not cosmetic in nature. The City of Manchester will issue a Zoning Authorization for all projects needing permits and then send the applicant to St. Louis County, whom we contract with for plan review, issuance of the building permit, and subsequent inspections.
Several type of residential projects require Zoning Authorization, but do not require a building permit. These projects include:
- The construction of an accessory building no larger than 120 square feet in size
- The erection of a fence up to 6 feet in height
These projects require the appropriate application (accessory building application (PDF), fence application (PDF)), along with 2 sets of plans, and payment of a $25 fee be submitted to the City. Once the plans are approved by the City, construction can begin. These projects do not require review by St. Louis County.
Obtain a Permit
The process to obtain a building permit in the City of Manchester is as follows:
- Submit to the City an Application for Municipal Zoning Authorization (PDF)* along with 5 copies of your plot plan (showing the improvement at the correct scale) and 5 copies of your building plans. Interior finishes on residential properties do not require a plot plan.
- There is a fee for Municipal Zoning Authorization.
- The City’s Department of Planning and Zoning will review your application and return your authorization to you, along with 4 approved sets of plans (both plot and building).
- The authorization and the 4 sets of approved plans will then need to be taken to St. Louis County for the building permit and inspections.
- Once the final inspection has been completed, St. Louis County will forward an approval for occupancy to the City, which will then be sent to the property owner and / or applicant.
If you have questions regarding if a permit is necessary for your project, please see the following lists: